I am an assistant professor—with a presidential professorship—in the philosophy department at the National University of Singapore. I got my Ph.D. from Rutgers, where I also got an M.S. in mathematics.
My research centers around non-fundamental phenomena, particularly that which mixes objective and subjective elements. One project is about how centered propositions can be objectively chancy. Another project develops a unified theory of explanation in metaphysics, science, and social philosophy. I also have projects on quantum field theories, the logic of identity, social metaphysics, and feminist philosophy.
Before philosophy, I worked as a documentary filmmaker in Chicago. These days, in addition to philosophy, I like taking pictures, watching movies, knitting, reading and writing poems, teaching outside of the academy, and hiking.
- Logic for Justice (forthcoming). Routledge.
- The Typical Principle (forthcoming). The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Worlds are Pluralities (forthcoming). Australasian Journal of Philosophy.
- Bohmian Collapse (forthcoming). In A. Bassi, S. Goldstein, R. Tumulka, and N. Zanghì, eds., Physics and the Nature of Reality: Essays in Memory of Detlef Dürr. Springer.
- Disregard (forthcoming). Hypatia.
- Constitution, Evidence, and an Argument for Realism (forthcoming). The Asian Journal of Philosophy.
- Centering the Born Rule (2023). Quantum Reports 5: 311-324.
- Comparing Mathematical Explanations (2023). The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 74: 269-290.
- Centering the Everett Interpretation (2022). Philosophical Quarterly 72: 1019-1039.
- Intrinsicality and Entanglement (2022). Mind 131: 35-58.
- Pluralities, Counterparts, and Groups (2022). Philosophical Studies 179: 2133-2153.
- Tractability and Laws (2022). Synthese 200: 1-17.
- Typical: A Theory of Typicality and Typicality Explanation (2022). The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 73: 561-581.
Centering the Principal Principle (2021). Philosophical Studies 178: 1897-1915.
Comparing the Structures of Mathematical Objects (2021). Synthese 199: 6357-6369.
Explanatory Priority Monism (2021). Philosophical Studies 178: 1339-1359.
Grounding and Propositional Identity (2021). Analysis 81: 80-81.
The Counteridentical Account of Explanatory Identities (2021). The Journal of Philosophy 118: 57-78.
A Statistical Analysis of Luck (2020). Synthese 197: 867-885.
An Argument for Entity Grounding (2020). Analysis 80: 500-507.
Interventionist Explanation and the Problem of Single Variable Boundary Constraints (2020). Noûs 54: 945-955.
The Logic of Typicality (2020). In V. Allori, ed., Statistical Mechanics and Scientific Explanation: Determinism, Indeterminism and Laws of Nature. World Scientific. (with Harry Crane)
The Stage Theory of Groups (2020). Australasian Journal of Philosophy 98: 661-674.
Celestial Chaos: The New Logics of Theory-Testing in Orbital Dynamics (2019). Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 65: 97-102.
The Ontology of Mechanisms (2019). The Journal of Philosophy 116: 615-636.
New Data on the Representation of Women in Philosophy Journals: 2004-2015 (2018). Philosophical Studies 175: 1441-1464. (with Sherri Conklin and Nicole Hassoun)
The Representation of Belief (2018). Journal of Philosophical Logic 47: 715-732.
- Honourable mention, 2022 BJPS Popper Prize.
- Featured in the OUP "Best of Philosophy 2019" article collection.